Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: 511E horns on Ebay

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Sorry, Bill.

    (I was the target of one of Jeff's insulting attacks on another forum, just last week. One too many, it seems).
    Last edited by mah; March 4th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post


    a little off topic here but, a car that lends itself nicely to drifting are the A-body fastback dart and dusters. `I'm thinking about putting a Voice of the Highway system in mine
    WAY off topic.
    But gads, you are a Mopar guy?
    I tune late model Dodge/Chrysler Hemi vehicles.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    Gee whiz, all I wanted to do was point out that there were two sets of 511E horns on Ebay.

    BillWojo

    Yet it was hijacked by Jeff yet again for his own personal pontification on an off topic related matter.

    I agree with mah, stay on topic or start a new one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Malcolm, we are talking about audio and ALTECs here, and Ron discussed room treatment, as part of this thread, and of having a VOTT work, or not work.

    What is the OT rule precisely? Where can " I " read about it? And how rigid do we want to be with it, when discussing ALTEC and implementations?

    The Pool Table tweak of Uncle Stu's, and The Flower's tweak of Dennis', has to do with room treatment, which Ron brought up in the natural course of this thread. I would think that some, certainly not all of the people on this Forum, would find it as new and possibly interesting thing to look into, if they care to do so.

    If it helps someone, enjoy their ALTEC listening more-so, that would be great IMHO.

    I've heard both, on Altecs, so I am not just re-hashing things I read on line, and not tried.

    Jeff Medwin ............................. Low Ohms


    Then start a new thread on this. This way when people search for these topics, there is a clear thread on them, not information buried pages into another unrelated thread.

    Searches here are cumbersome, and having something related to room treatment under a topic header of 511Es will not help anyone.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Magnarc,

    On all the other Forums, I see very little staying " on topic " as you are suggesting. Malcolm and you are the first time I have encountered this, and after asking in this thread, no one has pointed me to any written guidelines on this subject.

    In fact, freedom of discussion is often what makes such threads interesting, because we all can learn new things in the normal course of audio discussions, and it is surprising to find new information, in unexpected places. The thread "lives and breathes", it is not constricted.

    Let me simply ask you two questions : Have you ever heard of " Uncle Stu's Pool Table / Channel Separation " idea ? Question number two, have you ever heard of Dennis Fraker's " Flower Pot Placement by Ear " tweak ? I would bet, 9 out of 10, have not.

    I did not " hijack " ( sounds like robbing ) this thread, about 511Es on eBay - for my own benefit, but rather, I offered ideas that would ( and should ) specifically help ALTEC owners, get a better result with their systems, in their homes.

    It wasn't theoretical, but rather, others and I have personally HEARD the result of these things!! And it came out of a normal audio conversation with Ron, who I don't know, never met, and I interacted - normally, after he brought up " room treatment." A forum or a thread " evolves ", and it is often a great way to LEARN new things.

    I really thought some people would be pleased - to obtain two new suggestions to improve an ALTEC home hi fi system, that one can try out, and it was likely previously unknown to them. Sorry Magnarc, but that is how I see it, so, sir, I tend to differ with you.

    Best wishes,

    Jeff Medwin ....... Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; March 5th, 2017 at 12:47 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Magnarc,

    On all the other Forums, I see very little staying " on topic " as you are suggesting. Malcolm and you are the first time I have encountered this, and after asking in this thread, no one has pointed me to any written guidelines on this subject.

    In fact, freedom of discussion is often what makes such threads interesting, because we all can learn new things in the normal course of audio discussions, and it is surprising to find new information, in unexpected places. The thread "lives and breathes", it is not constricted.

    Let me simply ask you two questions : Have you ever heard of " Uncle Stu's Pool Table / Channel Separation " idea ? Question number two, have you ever heard of Dennis Fraker's " Flower Pot Placement by Ear " tweak ? I would bet, 9 out of 10, have not.

    I did not " hijack " ( sounds like robbing ) this thread, about 511Es on eBay - for my own benefit, but rather, I offered ideas that would ( and should ) specifically help ALTEC owners, get a better result with their systems, in their homes.

    It wasn't theoretical, but rather, others and I have personally HEARD the result of these things!! And it came out of a normal audio conversation with Ron, who I don't know, never met, and I interacted - normally, after he brought up " room treatment." A forum or a thread " evolves ", and it is often a great way to LEARN new things.

    I really thought some people would be pleased - to obtain two new suggestions to improve an ALTEC home hi fi system, that one can try out, and it was likely previously unknown to them. Sorry Magnarc, but that is how I see it, so, sir, I tend to differ with you.

    Best wishes,

    Jeff Medwin ....... Low Ohms


    Then start a new topic.

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E horns on Ebay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Jeff we've had our words, we've reached at least a mutual tolerance. I do wish you would include a disclaimer in your posts, much of what you post is subjective observation. I've heard you use the phrase "help Altec owners" more than once, would like to see you back off that and let people decide for themselves whether they have been helped. Sounds too much like self promotion.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E horns on Ebay


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    WAY off topic.
    But gads, you are a Mopar guy?
    I tune late model Dodge/Chrysler Hemi vehicles.
    Mopar? Oh yeah. pm me
    Sonic Barbarian

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    would like to see you back off that and let people decide for themselves whether they have been helped.
    I like reading others ideas, thoughts and opinions .. what I don't like is feeling those ideas, thoughts, and opinions are being rammed down my throat and that I'm crazy for not following those ideas, thoughts and opinions which are stated as simple hard facts without showing evidence of fact or a majority of consensus that they are sound ... but please don't stop sharing .... we/I need/want everyone keep sharing your ideas, thoughts and opinions for individual evaluation.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    I agree 100% with Endeeinn. Not only that, but if you argue with him and present well established facts than you are assaulted and belittled. Never does he come back with any established hard core evidence that there might be merit to his ideas. I have been the victim of some of these attacks and don't appreciate it. It reminds me of the school yard behavior of a bully. There is no place for it on this forum or any other.

    BillWojo

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E horns on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    I agree 100% with Endeeinn. Not only that, but if you argue with him and present well established facts than you are assaulted and belittled. Never does he come back with any established hard core evidence that there might be merit to his ideas. I have been the victim of some of these attacks and don't appreciate it. It reminds me of the school yard behavior of a bully. There is no place for it on this forum or any other.

    BillWojo
    Hi Bill,

    Yes, and I have had a correspondence with Todd White, and told him, THIS WEEK, I would do my best not to attack others who think opposite of me, and that I will try not to be too condescending ( which is difficult for me ).

    So, lets try to treat each other better than we have in the past.

    Hard Core Evidence : The " scientific evidence " of things audio, in the high-end of the ART ( art-not science) , often does not exist as measurable things, things that we can easily measure. Albert Einstein had a saying about this, look it up !!

    In about 1983, my original audio mentor, Mr. Robert W. Fulton, purchased a 2 MEGahertz TEKTRONIX scope, to measure audio, and it showed him fantastic things, that no one else had ever seen before. Audio is HARD to measure at the High End Bill.

    But, the good LORD all gave us ears, and the ability to hear, common to all of us. They are also good " natural " measuring tools. He also gave us a mind with the ability to think about what we hear, to discriminate.

    When you asked for " justification" of my many claims, I referred you to subjective substantiations.. One was the rather recent Stereophile review of the GPA 604 MLTL (1) audio system - by Herbert Reichert, Stereophile Magazine's highly-experienced reviewer. It was of his visit to the Serious Stereo demo room at the October 2016 RMAF show.

    I don't need to remind you, do I, that YOU choose to ignore totally that source of information, and you on your own accord, publicly dismissed it on this Forum as nonsense. Who is bullying who ??

    We were his favorite room, of over 200 plus audio exhibitors, at the show. Guess what, this demo room used the " too-heavy, overkill " speaker wiring, that "GM" commented upon, and that "mah" scientifically substantiated, and it had Fulton wire length multiples employed ( 57 1/8 th an inch ) - that you liked to make fun of privately ( with your audio buddies ) and publicly on this Forum. And it had a flower pot on each speaker, as we can see in the photos Reichert took and published. What better substantiation can I provide, for things you and others, have never likely heard??

    If you spent several thousands of your own dollars, several weeks of your time, to display your audio system at RMAF, and if a national well-respected, established Audio Magazine such as Stereophile, wrote your own room up as " best people, favorite room ", might you want to refer people who hadn't attended, fellow audio enthusiasts, to such a review??

    Let us both do better in the future. Look up the Albert Einstein's quote on measuring things.

    Thanks,

    Jeff Medwin

    (1) The MLTL : "GM" thankfully helped Dennis Fraker design parts of it, years ago.
    Last edited by LowOhms; March 5th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.